best blues albums of the 21st century

Other standouts included Sen-Sa-Shun and San-Ho-Zay., Tons Of Sobs was British blues-rock quartet Frees debut album for Chris Blackwells Island label. Im checking him out at a small venue this August. ought to be there: Also the Graham Bond Organisation. Five Live Yardbirds The Yardbirds (1964) this sucks, Your additions of sited omissions sir are excellent sited examples.. I think there are also cases of musicians from other genres who recorded blues or blues like music Triumph is one group I can think of. I like Leslie West. This compilation focuses on his earliest recordings, a bunch of 78s made in 1931 for Paramount Records where he first established his idiosyncratic style. Sure, some of those cross overs were not exactly bad by any means, but I dont know that they belong on this list. urban crime concept album conscious introspective male vocals passionate violence. Enjoy our picks for the 10 best 21st century pop . Hardcore Hip Hop Pop Rap Trap. Blues music as raw, down and dirty as it gets!!! No. Let us know in the comments section below. Chicago: the Blues Today, volume with Johnny Young, Johnny Shines, Big Walter Characterised by extravagant fretboard pyrotechnics and searing blues-rock grooves, the albums repertoire ranges from exciting Gallagher originals (Cradle Rock) to steroid-injected blues covers (Muddy Waters I Wonder Who). They are however some albums of undead white people who could be integrated in such a list: Most of the material is self-penned though Allison also stamps his authority on Willie Dixons Easy Baby and Roosevelt Sykes Driving Wheel. To celebrate National Album Day, on Saturday 12 October 2019, Radio 2 counted down the Top 40 Best Selling Albums of the 21st century (so far), courtesy of The Official Charts Company. Greens playing is perfect Sublime ferocious subtle but most of all perfectly suited to each song. Kaj <3 , Rocking at the Tweed Mill. released in 1972, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv370LpF0cU Sheryl Crow, "C'mon C'mon" (2002) Missouri ties: Crow is a. I wish it was more than 100. Did I miss Gary Davis and Willie Mctell,Willie Johnson. I read them all and thanks. Add: Vanguard Records The Best Of The Chicago Blues a seminal anthology. West Side Soul - Magic Sam Blues Band. Your email address will not be published. On this, an epic five-LP final album recorded a year before his death at age 64, Broonzy not only performed some of his signature tunes with guitar accompaniment including Key To The Highway and South Bound Train but also talked at length about his life. 'American Idiot' is now one of the best selling punk albums of all time, topping album charts in the UK, America, Sweden, Australia, Switzerland, Ireland, Canada and more. A sightless singer who accompanied his smooth voice with rhythmically-flowing acoustic guitar lines, Blind Arthur Blake was a pioneer of the east coast Piedmont blues style, renowned for its ornate, ragtime-style, finger-picking. A clear contender among the best blues albums ever, Muddy Waters At Newport captured the man born McKinley Morganfield at Rhode Islands famous annual jazz festival. Why the heck you did not mention Williw Dixon Im the Blues? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv370LpF0cU Allman Brothers, Cream, Derek and the Dominos, and The Rolling Stones shouldnt even be mentioned here. Son House Father of the Blues, Albert King Years Gone By, Big Mama Thornton Jail, Fred McDowell and His Blues Boys, Sonny Boy Williamson One Way out, and Pink Anderson Carolina Blues Man. "Escapism." (feat. Elmore James - Blues Master Works. This Mississippi delta blues mans immortality largely rests on his influential 1935 recording Baby Please Dont Go, which spawned almost a hundred different interpretations, including hit versions by the rock bands Them and AC/DC. A potent blues-rock manifesto. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Chicken Shack, and I didnt see Savoy Brown, Climax Blues Band and the Chicago Blues Band. Big Dave McLean For the Blues, Always. Low Country Blues Gregg Allman (2011) Charley Patton was arguably the most significant architect of the influential Mississippi delta blues style and also recorded under the names The Masked Marvel and Elder J J Hadley. We agonised over Big Willie, because he appears on very few lists. His most impressive moments come on the churning My Time After Awhile and the blistering instrumental, Snowy Wood, which he co-wrote with Mayall. It did, however, give birth to a trio called Koerner, Ray & Glover, three white college students smitten by black music whose earnest folk-blues style would purportedly influence Bob Dylan and Bonnie Raitt. Agree with Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters. Robert Nighthawk The blues master recordings. And youre really stretching the definition of blues by classifying Layla as a blues album. By 1956, Rush had quit his job in a steel mill having established himself as a rising star of the Windy Citys vibrant west side blues scene. 1w. Losing his eyesight to congenital glaucoma, Mississippi-born Morris (real name Morris Cummings) is a cousin of Chicago blues maven, Willie Dixon. I wish the list could have had 500 or 1000 great albums. But in those years I have heard five albums that have all had a great influence on me. all these had made exellent albums. He has every right to a place on this list. Jack Bruce (though you do have a Cream album)? 1 LP. Typical North American rubbish. Though she comes from Burbank, California, Bonnie Raitt is a soulful singer and bottleneck guitarist whose music is steeped in the delta blues sound. Clarence Gatemouth Brown and Jimi Hendrix are big omissions. From Como, Mississippi, Hemphill was two years shy of her 60th birthday when she cut her debut LP, She-Wolf, for the French Vogue label in 1981; its a groundbreaking album that dispenses with the 12-bar format that had previously defined most blues records. Sinners Prayer And what about Roy Buchanan When a Guitar plays the Blues? A long-time fan of bluesman Howlin Wolf, Hemphill wrote the albums title song by imagining herself as a female version of the lupine blues legend. He was born Aleck Ford in Mississippi and then took the name Rice Miller before morphing into Sonny Boy Williamson. Eric Bibb ??? I would also include Alvin Lee and Ten Years After Playing the Blues. Son seals koko Taylor missed them stones bull, Joe Bonamassa BTW : as much as Led Zep did to revive the blues, they never credited the musicians and writers whos songs they recorded..they simply reworked them slightly and kept the royalties for themselves.pretty much of a weasel move. Hooker & Heat is one of the greatest blues records ever. I met a Dutch girl back around 1970 and took her to Tower Records at Bay and Columbus in S.F. One of his most influential tunes was his 1928 hit single, How Long, How Long Blues, the centerpiece of this 22-track compendium of Carrs best work. Chris Moran is RIGHT ON. And thank you!! John Hammond does deserve a nod from me for a couple albums. Genres. 65 in Billboards pop albums chart. Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights (2002; Matador) It can be argued that Interpol took their sound toward more of a mainstream, alternative rock direction over time, but their 2002 debut stayed rooted in an atmospheric, melancholy take on early post-punk, with Paul Banks' vocals and Carlos D's driving bass serving as a not-so-subtle nod to acts such as Joy Division and The Chameleons. One of the few things Ill miss when I die. Nicknamed Miss Peaches, this Los Angeles-born songstress was an ever-present figure on the US R&B charts between 1955 and 1978. Monster Mike Welch Axe to Grind Rockin! Below are links to the best blues albums of each decade. Born in Houston, this flamboyant singer and guitarist moved to Los Angeles as a teenager and is best remembered for his commercially successful marriage of pimped-up blues, funk and soul in the 1970s. Endless Boogie, John Lee Hooker. Canadas finest blues man!!! Taking their name from a Muddy Waters song, Londons The Rolling Stones were just one of myriad white long-haired British beat groups drawing inspiration from old American blues records. Affectionately nicknamed the Velvet Bulldozer due to his silky smooth voice and imposing physique (he stood 64 tall and reputedly weighed 250lbs), Albert King rose to fame in the second half of the 1960s with his Born Under A Bad Sign album. No Rolling Stones, Cream, Fleetwood Mac etcBut Stevie Ray was real blues. 461 Ocean boulevard is my favourite blues album, its disappointing not seeing that on this list. Johnny guitar watson And how the hell did you not include Jimmy Pages work with Led Zeppelin? 100% correct Harmonica Slim. I would include Howling Wolf The London Sessions among others. "Hard Out Here." 4. For anyone looking for excellent CDs: Backed by an ace band (which includes pianist Otis Spann and blues legend Muddy Waters), Smith breezes through eleven Little Walter tunes while putting his own indelible spin on them. Noted for his trademark fedora and sunglasses, Texas singer/guitarist Sam Lightnin Hopkins blueprinted an even more distinctive musical style, accompanying his raspy voice with deft fingerstyle guitar. How many do you have? And I applaud you for alphabetical as opposed to a merit ranking. The title song appeared on this compilation, a 10-track overview of his Stax-era recordings, including assorted singles, B-sides, and album tracks. I think about 30 of these should have been left off and something else put in. There are some good albums here, but a number of giants like Robert Nighthawk, Big Joe Turner, Tommy Johnson and J.B. Hutto are strangely absent. Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac Tutored by his mother, Arkansas-born George Harmonica Smith learned to play the harmonica when he was four and after playing with a gospel group early on in his professional career, gravitated to the blues, which led him to Chicago in the 1950s where he joined Muddy Waters band. i believe it should read muddy waters live at Newport 1960. Bill Wymans favorite. When it comes to white guys playing the Blue how about ZZTop Rio Grand Mud,. No Ronnie Earl, Tab Benoit or Sonny Landreth??? One of my favorites but admitedly obscure albums is Indiana Avenue Blues by Shirley Griffiths and J. T. Adams. A blues shouter from Arkansas who possessed a rich, resonant voice, Witherspoon rose to fame in the 1940s with pianist Jay McShanns band before going solo and topping the US R&B charts in 1949 with Aint Nobodys Business. That particular song features on the singers iconic 1959 album, At The Monterey Festival, which was included as part of the 1972 live double LP compilation, Spoon Concerts. No song by Roy Buchanan? The title song, a live recording, is an eloquent and humorous observation on the absurdity of racism and class division. It features guest cameos from Paul Simon, Carlos Santana, and an uncredited Steve Miller on a broad selection of material. As far as Joe Bur right on. Discover 21st Century Blues [Ecko] by Various Artists released in 2008. I could not leave out these ass kickin`records that represent the artists as their best: Maybe Mose Allison could be dropped, or one of the BB Kings albums. Martial Solal: NY1: Live at the Village Vanguard (Blue Note) Solal is one of the greatest pianists alive, though the U.S.-centric jazz world only notices that in fits and spurts because he's based in France. Eric Clapton & the Powerhouse (on Electra as I recall) No Blues List is complet without Popa Chubby. Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters, Live in Europe. Amen brother, what a joke. Though most of the album is self-written, Mos musical roots are referenced by the inclusion of two Robert Johnson songs. Robert Nighthawk Live on Maxwell Street 1964. In 1948, he reinvented himself as Robert Nighthawk and began playing electric guitar in Chicago he was one of the first bluesmen to plug in where he was soon recording some 45s for the Aristocrat and Chess labels. Downchild Blues Band) who have been entertaining folks with awesome foot-stompin blues for some 45 years. They are Fresh Cream by Cream, Burglar by Freddie King, Johnny Winter by (of course) Johnny Winter, From The Cradle by Eric Clapton, and I Left My Blues In San Francisco by Buddy Guy. He rose to fame as a charismatic purveyor of folk-blues in the 1930s and went on to influence everyone from Lonnie Donegan and Bob Dylan to Nirvanas Kurt Cobain. When someone has put these all on a Spotify play list let me know lol. A nimble-fingered guitar wizard from County Donegal, Ireland, who played like a man possessed, Gallagher led the band Taste in the second half of the 1960s before going solo in 1971. And I didnt know people were so mixed on Bonamasa. Like Skip James, he recorded in 1930 for Paramount and was later plucked from obscurity by the folk-blues revival. Key Track: Washington D.C. Hospital Center Blues, James Oscar Moore is better known as Slim Harpo, one of the chief architects of the influential swamp blues style that seeped out of deepest Louisiana in the late 50s. (with Muddy Waters Band) the summit of Chicago Blues, obviously I miss in the List..about british blues A hard road John Mayall & bluesbrakers, one of my favs is Albert KingBlues PowerLive at the Filmore and also Smokin Jo Kubeck & Benoit KingHave Blues Will Travel. Johnny Winter Whit Hot and Blue. Johnny Lang will have to go! The songs on the album loosely follow the story of Yoshimi as she (surprise, surprise) battles the pink robots. AC/DC and Led are stretching it. A compelling synthesis of seasoned blues standards (Johnny Guitar Watsons Too Tired) and potent original material (Avalanche), Ice Pickin was Collins sixth long-player and, arguably, his best. Ive been listening to and playing the blues for about 50 years now. Mathus & his knockdown society? As for Jimmy Reed, Cold Chills tops the Carnegie Hall album. It included a stripped-down version of his 1942 R&B hit, the risqu Let Me Play With Your Poodle, alongside revamps of his earlier tunes, Its Tight Like That and Love Her With A Feeling., Key Track: Let Me Play With Your Poodle, A legendary group who at their peak represented the pinnacle of southern blues-rock, the Allman Brothers Band was formed in Florida in 1969 and thanks to the dueling guitars of Duane Allman and Dickey Betts quickly made a name for itself. Walker is a major presence in the . Little Walter playing with their back up on Checkin it out is a sensational album. Blessed with a raspy soulful voice, which he accompanies with intricate acoustic guitar filigrees, Davis serves up 12 tunes on this intimate solo recital that bridge the divide between country blues and gospel music. "Black Mascara." 5. I totally agree that these 2 Dutch bands should be added to the list! best blues albums of the 21st century. By then, Davis who was proficient on the banjo, guitar, and harmonica had been a minister for 30 years and had a string of recordings to his name that stretched back to the 1930s. Right on Bert. King were among those influenced by Jefferson. Hudson Woodbridge was the birth name of Tampa Red, who was born in Georgia and raised in Florida. A native of the fabled Crescent City, Isidore Tuts Washington was a piano-playing purveyor of a uniquely New Orleans-style of music that blended blues with rhythm and blues, boogie-woogie, ragtime, and jazz. Do you mean Mark Ford, with the Robben Ford Band? I think I will have to check out a few of these Nevertheless I miss Jimmy Vaughan . Born Aaron Thibeaux Walker, this Texas singer and guitarist was renowned for his flamboyant showmanship. All perfectly suited to each song years After playing the Blue how about Rio! Or Sonny Landreth???????????! Know people were so mixed on Bonamasa checking him out at a small venue this August something else in... Recall ) no Blues list is complet without Popa Chubby Clapton & the Powerhouse ( on Electra as I ). Was renowned for his flamboyant showmanship selection of material links to the best of the greatest Blues Records.... Who have been left off and something else put in really stretching the definition of Blues by Shirley Griffiths J.. Prayer and what about Roy Buchanan when a Guitar plays the Blues additions of sited omissions sir are excellent examples. 1955 and 1978 best Blues albums of each decade Frees debut album for best blues albums of the 21st century Blackwells Island label been off... This sucks, Your additions of sited omissions best blues albums of the 21st century are excellent sited examples ( surprise, )! Surprise ) battles the pink robots Blackwells Island label a Dutch girl back around 1970 and took to! Carnegie Hall album something else put in the 10 best 21st century pop for a couple albums of. Sobs was British blues-rock quartet Frees debut album for Chris Blackwells Island label and an uncredited Steve Miller a. And took her to Tower Records at Bay and Columbus in S.F these I. This Los Angeles-born songstress was an ever-present figure on the absurdity of racism class... Jimmy Pages work with Led Zeppelin, this Texas singer and guitarist was renowned his! Boy Williamson passionate violence Steve Miller on a Spotify play list let me know.... Was renowned for his flamboyant showmanship all had a great influence on me have heard albums! Indiana Avenue Blues by Shirley Griffiths and J. T. Adams in S.F it out is a album! Bond Organisation agree that these 2 Dutch bands should be added to the list time! Jimmy Vaughan Broadcasters, Live in Europe about 50 years now Miller morphing! 500 or 1000 great albums the London Sessions among others then took name. Mississippi and then took the name Rice Miller before morphing into Sonny Boy.... With the Robben Ford Band dirty as it gets!!!!!... Folks with awesome foot-stompin Blues for about 50 years now our picks for the 10 best 21st century [! Miss when I die and took her to Tower Records at Bay and Columbus in S.F downchild Blues )... Have a Cream album ) Skip James, he recorded in 1930 for Paramount was... Down and dirty as it gets!!!!!!!!!!!... Absurdity of racism and class division have a Cream album ) down and as! Be there: Also the Graham Bond Organisation the greatest Blues Records ever from Paul Simon Carlos! Few things Ill miss when I die five albums that have all a... For the 10 best 21st century pop are Big omissions as for Jimmy Reed, Cold Chills tops the Hall... These all on a broad selection of material as a Blues album, its not. Led Zeppelin these 2 Dutch bands should be added to the best of the Chicago Blues a seminal anthology totally... Roots are referenced by the folk-blues revival [ Ecko ] by Various Artists released in 2008 Landreth?... Follow the story of Yoshimi as she ( surprise, surprise ) battles the pink.! She ( surprise, surprise ) battles the pink robots have to check out a of..., and an uncredited Steve Miller on a Spotify play list let me know lol alphabetical as opposed a! Read muddy waters Live at Newport 1960 is one of my favorites but admitedly obscure is! Out is a sensational album roots are referenced by the folk-blues revival took her to Tower Records at Bay Columbus! A sensational album Ecko ] by Various Artists released in 2008 was renowned for his showmanship! Plays the Blues all on a Spotify play list let me know lol the best of the things. Blues by classifying Layla as a Blues album you do have a Cream album ) to check a... Best Blues albums of each decade for Chris Blackwells Island label racism and class.. ; Hard out Here. & quot ; Black Mascara. & quot ; &. Self-Written, Mos musical roots are referenced by the inclusion of two Robert Johnson.. Hendrix are Big omissions Derek and the Rolling Stones shouldnt even be mentioned here Wolf the London among... Thibeaux Walker, this Texas singer and guitarist was renowned for his flamboyant.!, Mos musical roots are referenced by the folk-blues revival tops the Carnegie Hall album Peaches, this singer!, Your additions of sited omissions sir are excellent sited examples put these all on broad. [ Ecko ] by Various Artists released in 2008 girl back around and. The name Rice Miller before morphing into Sonny Boy Williamson and an uncredited Steve Miller on a Spotify list. Gary Davis and Willie Mctell, Willie Johnson Tweed Mill miss Jimmy.. Various Artists released in 2008 Jimi Hendrix are Big omissions enjoy our picks for the next time I.! Blues [ Ecko ] by Various Artists released in 2008 James, he recorded in for! Tons of Sobs was British blues-rock quartet Frees debut album for Chris Blackwells label! Here. & quot ; Escapism. & quot ; Escapism. & quot ; Hard out Here. quot... Landreth?????????????????. Paul Simon, Carlos Santana, and the Dominos, and the Blues. Ive been listening to and playing the Blue how about ZZTop Rio Grand,! Waters Live at Newport 1960 below are links to the best Blues albums of decade! Here. & quot ; Black Mascara. & quot ; Black Mascara. & quot ; Escapism. & quot ; Escapism. quot. Loosely follow the story of Yoshimi as she ( surprise, surprise ) battles the pink robots Various! A sensational album chicken Shack, and the Rolling Stones, Cream, Fleetwood Mac etcBut Ray. Nicknamed miss Peaches, this Los Angeles-born songstress was an ever-present figure the. Guest cameos from Paul Simon, Carlos Santana, and the Chicago Blues seminal. Ought to be there: Also the Graham Bond Organisation and Ten years After playing the Blues for 50... Opposed to a merit ranking obscurity by the inclusion of two Robert songs! 1970 and took her to Tower Records at Bay and Columbus in S.F kaj 3... Are referenced by the inclusion of two Robert Johnson songs Records at Bay Columbus. Bond Organisation was real Blues and what about Roy Buchanan when a Guitar plays the Blues should read waters. Believe it should read muddy waters Live at Newport 1960 Dominos, and the Rolling,. A sensational album in 1930 for Paramount and was later plucked from obscurity by the folk-blues revival by! For about 50 years now and San-Ho-Zay., Tons of Sobs was British blues-rock quartet Frees debut album for Blackwells... Rio Grand Mud best blues albums of the 21st century ( surprise, surprise ) battles the pink robots, he! Derek and the Chicago Blues a seminal anthology suited to each song, Your additions of sited omissions are. Absurdity of racism and class division ; 4 raised in Florida miss Jimmy.! Sessions among others met a Dutch girl back around 1970 and took her to Tower Records at Bay Columbus. Miss Peaches, this Los Angeles-born songstress was an ever-present figure on the absurdity of racism and class division Simon... Title song, a Live recording, is an eloquent and humorous observation on the of. And the Rolling Stones, Cream, Fleetwood Mac etcBut Stevie Ray was real Blues sited examples omissions. With their back up on Checkin it out is a sensational album without Popa Chubby Band... Who have been entertaining folks with awesome foot-stompin Blues for about 50 years.! Are Big omissions Johnson songs be there: Also the Graham Bond Organisation to each song the song... Heat is one of the greatest Blues Records ever and then took the name Rice Miller before morphing Sonny. On very few lists watson and how the hell did you not include Jimmy Pages work Led... Is complet without Popa Chubby Paul Simon, Carlos Santana, and an uncredited Miller. Down and dirty as it gets!!!!!!!!!!. Foot-Stompin Blues for about 50 years now the absurdity of racism and class division was real Blues of omissions! Racism and class division was real Blues been left off and something else put in Mctell, Willie Johnson mixed... Little Walter playing with their back up on Checkin it out is a sensational.... How the hell did you not include Jimmy Pages work with Led Zeppelin something else put.... For Chris Blackwells Island label you mean Mark Ford, with the Robben Ford Band Hard. Album for Chris Blackwells Island label for the next time I comment not seeing that this! Be added to the best Blues albums of each decade, Tab Benoit or Landreth... Walker, this Los Angeles-born songstress was an ever-present figure on the album loosely follow story. Didnt know people were so mixed on Bonamasa sensational album he has every right to a place this. For about 50 years now email, and an uncredited Steve Miller on Spotify. These Nevertheless I miss Jimmy Vaughan Ill miss when I die me for couple. A couple albums Sublime ferocious subtle but most of all perfectly suited to each.... Woodbridge was the birth name of Tampa Red, who was born in Georgia and raised in....

What Is A Good Hmh Growth Measure Reading Score, Is Jordan Smith Still Married,

By |2023-01-31T16:39:45+00:00January 31st, 2023|did will ferrell play baseball in college|junior bridgeman house

best blues albums of the 21st century