what years did it snow in houston

Impressive! In addition to the cold, what is likely the worst ice storm in city history led to serious damage and disruption. (For the record, the all-time low was 18, in 1983. Everyone was in a state of excitement. Thanks for commenting. The 2004 Christmas Eve United States winter storm was a rare weather event that took place in Louisiana and Texas in the United States on December 24, 2004, before the storm moved northeast to affect the coastal sections of the Mid-Atlantic states and New England in the succeeding few days. :-) Thanks for the comment. At least you can enjoy the pristine whiteness of pictures of snow. Snow plow removal companies, Municipalities, Universities and others that fight snow can plan for the worst with this data. I just inserted the photos to show the ages when my brothers and I were playing in the snow. The suspect in the Jan. 5 robbery . I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, Peggy. December 4, 2009. J Beadle from Wisconsin on December 16, 2009: It looks like spring there!!! Why is the fear of long words called Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia? Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together. Azaleasthe ones that only bloom once a yearare starting to pop out. December 13: 19 Rochelle Frank from California Gold Country on December 06, 2009: We are bracing for a pretty big snowstorm here tonight and tomorrow-- predicted to be between 8- 12 inches. C E Clark from North Texas on September 16, 2015: Another article I'm seeing for the first time! It is just past noon, and the temperature in Houston is 18 degrees Fahrenheit. We then had four straight days below freezing all day long. On Dec. 25, 2016, Dallas reached 80 degrees, which broke the record for warmest Christmas Day on record in the city. I have only been in the Houston area since 3Q 2013 however I can relate to the cold of Christmas 1983. Many cities and towns around the world experience snowy conditions in winter, but also have sandy beaches to enjoy in summer once the snow has melted. There were more incidences of snow in the 1980s on average than any other decade recorded, but the 2000s also witnessed more frequent and record-breaking snows. This was a different storm from the historic event that struck the Midwest and southern Canada around . In addition to Texas, state records still stand or are shared today from this cold snap in Nebraska, Ohio, Louisiana, and Florida. Coldest temperature: 14 on 2/2 Hope you had as much fun as we did in enjoying that "white stuff" falling from the sky. I have to say i was always the one predicting (and fearing) that this would be a bitterly cold winter. Weve been constantly downstream of the East Pacific Ridge (the one causing the California drought), and that has lead to an active winter. HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) Snow in Houston doesn't happen every winter, but it does happen. Thats the greatest snowfall in the history of Houston. Good times! Loved it!!! It is a thrill to see snow in Houston because it is so very rare. Kids, in any generation, never seem to get sick of making snowmen. Age and gravity has taken its expected toll. 1986 Twin Cities 2:32:31 1 1987 Twin Cities 2:35:42 2 1988 Pittsburgh 2:32:15 5 1988 Chicago 2:32:03 5 1989 Houston 2:32:32 2 1989 Boston 2:29 . BTWI get a kick out of your self assigned name here on hubpages. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on October 29, 2011: I hope that you are wrong about another colder than normal winterbut guess time will tell. 14 Poorest. The news channels on television this evening broadcast snow photos sent in from viewers. Craig Hlavaty is a reporter for Chron.com and HoustonChronicle.com. Things are better now in Texas energy market. 2019This is the only occurrence of 70 degree temperatures on Christmas. Photo taken at Sonny Look's on Quitman. Nights at or below freezing: 12 over 2 weeks. We got more sleet at our home, but in other parts of the Houston metro area, they saw more snow mixed with sleet. The morning temperature was 11 degrees Celsius on Monday, April 24, and by Friday, April 28, it had dipped to minus 3 degrees Celsius. What year was it 70 degrees on Christmas? Eric wrote about it at the Houston Chronicle. Our AC units are really humming that time of year! Took us *** 21 *** hours to make the drive. And yet it happened exactly 200 years ago, in the last week of April 1815. The latest was in 1932 where we got a little less than an inch on March 10. We sometimes get that alsoin fact more often than snow. I hit my head and the rest is fuzzy because I got a concussion. United States snow records can be found by reviewing the snowfall records of over 200 cities. Mighty close. Those pics are amazing, even of the snowman, and when you were younger. This was a great recap of our coldest ever, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Eric wrote about it at the Houston Chronicle, leading to their coldest December on record, which we conveniently wrote about back in 2017, Heres the latest on Houstons winter storm and exceptional cold, Sunday morning update: Snow likely tonight for much of Houston, followed by extreme cold, Scattered showers today will herald the arrival of a front, and return of more typical January weather, A return to winter-like conditions is finally on the horizon for Houston, Houston will turn back toward more winter-like conditions by Wednesday night, Houston to have its coldest night of 2023, and then well swiftly warm up, After Wednesdays warmth, much drier and cooler air arrives today. 18 What kind of weather is in Austin Texas? December 1983 was to Dallas what December 1989 was to Houston, leading to their coldest December on record. You can learn much by reading and noticing how others write as well. We lost him in January 2019 and I sure wish he could still be here. The previous mark was 80 degrees, set in 2016. Is this going to be our new reality? What year did it snow on Christmas Day in Houston? It is 0 here right now! Couldnt get the water in the shower hot enough to thaw myself out. It has snowed just 35 times in Houston since 1895, according to KTRK, with the last measurable snow . The biggest snow during that time period came on Dec. 10, 2008, when 1.4 inches of snow was recorded. It is windy, and the wind chill feel-like temperatures can be life-threatening for people and animals without warmth and shelter. Thanks for your comment. WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO HAVE A HIBACHI PARTY AND THEN.. | LOL he did not want . The Marvel star had been hospitalized since New Year's Day . Sleet and freezing rain are more common than snow in . Greatest Snowfall in One Season Our temperatures were in the low 20s. We may have to wait a while before we enjoy truly cooler temperatures in parts of Texas. Jeremy Renner's recovery will take YEARS and his condition is 'much worse than anyone knows' after he was crushed by 14,000-pound snowplow, friends claim. Mrs. C.A. On December 22 1929, 2.5 inches of snow fell in Houston. :) Temps have cooled slightly, but we are still to have upper 90s tomorrow and Friday. It is very rare down here. People should stay where they are because the roads are dangerous. Brittney Griner surprises fans at MLK Day fest, 'Absolutely': Why Sean Payton is open to taking Texans HC job, What C.J. Clear. But ultimately, whether it really can join the ranks of a 1989 or 1983 or 1899 will depend on just how cold it gets Tuesday morning. All Rights Reserved. That's a pitiful looking snowman, honey. Snowball fights were only fun when you came out barely "hit" which in my case was never. Where do the Astros stack up in MLB Networks position rankings? On Dec. 25, 2016, Dallas reached 80 degrees, which broke the record for warmest Christmas Day on record in the city. There were more incidences of snow in the 1980s on average than any other decade recorded, but the 2000s also witnessed more frequent and record-breaking snows. That was a great place to go but unfortunately my memories are a bit fuzzy, because I fell out of a tobboggan, not so good. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 07, 2009: Thanks for the metric conversion. 1830s. From the Feb. 13, 1960, Houston Chronicle: Mrs. John D. Tamborello and daughter, Janice Lynn, 6, put finishing touches on a huge snowman they built in front of their home at 4231 Ruskin. :-). Forecasting precipitation types is extremely challenging, as Eric noted this morning, so I expect more curve balls to be thrown our way between now and tomorrow evening, but at least this afternoon, it looks like sleet may be the more common precipitation type we see tomorrow night. Yes, but it's true! The Great Christmas Eve Snow Storm (2004) -Introduction-. Minneapolis takes the number one spot on our list with a 77 percent likelihood of having at least an inch of snow on the ground for the Christmas holiday. It made for some nice winter drives. Thank you. December 23: 7 Schools and industries that paid an interruptible rate which is lower, for natural gas and electricity were turned off to provide service to residents, grocery stores, hospitals, etc. In February 2021, 8 centimeters (3 inches) of snow fell and the temperature stayed at or below freezing for nine consecutive days. We are buried here, which is good for Christmas but we won't see grass again until March or April. After a 34-year absence, 2.5 inches of snow fell in Houston on December 21 - 22. The first recorded date on which the city received its first 2 inches of snowfall. Most of the snow melted before it hit the ground, but it was magical nevertheless. From Clifton to Hillsboro, 24-26 inches of snow fell. Houston - Lowest Temperature for Each Year. This snow and ice is a rare occurrence in Houston. We usually get plenty of it. Actual temps in the 90's. It also does damage here when it falls depending upon the size of it. HOUSTON (CW39) CW39 Meteorologist Carrigan Chauvin is out LIVE in Winter Storm 2021 with a look at snow in downtown Houston. This December has been at or near the warmest December on record for most of South Texas. 59 Likes, TikTok video from Hibachitoyoutx (@hibachitoyoutx): "WE LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR! Average household, Typically, a band sets an amount of time to be on the road, and booking agents try to match cities and venues to those dates,, Cities near Houston within 1 hour 59 minutes: Galveston 31 minutes: Baytown (Texas) 32 minutes: Katy 50 minutes: Sealy 28 minutes: Spring What cities are. As to hearing the snow fall when things are quiet, that is understandable as the snow makes contact with trees, ground, etc. Nights at or below freezing: 9 in a row. Lots of power outages. Thus all kinds of records have been broken this year. Potted plants with crotons and other tender vegetation moved into our garage and covered with sheets for added insulation there. The closest the Houston metropolitan area came to a white Christmas occurred on December 22, 1989 when 1.7 inches of snow fell at Intercontinental Airport. Still it was the wet snow kind due to time of year and this is the best type to make a snowman. Read on to learn Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul touring new mezcal around Houston, Watch: Houston drivers destroy their cars on popular bar's ramp, Houston facing storms, return to typical winter weather this week, Activists call for Houston taqueria shooter to be charged, Alperen Sengun breaks records held by Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaq, After 147 years, this Houston-area ranch is available to buy. Another event likely worthy of its own post. (Were the winds not 100 km/h rather than 100 mph? . Houston was hit with 20 inches of snow on Feb. 14 and 15. The last recorded snowfall in Houston was on February 15, 2021. I have a feeling it will. Greatest Amount of Snow in One Day, 4.4in. Sandra Mireles from Texas on December 06, 2009: This is a great look at our snow day! The earliest snowfall Houston's ever seen was in 2009 when we got an entire inch of snow on Dec. 4. :-(. For the first time ever, some areas experienced their first white Christmas. The esplanade between Main and Fannin near Hermann Park/Rice University was covered in beautiful ice formations from the broken sprinklers or something. 1860s. Who have the Texans interviewed for head coach? That must be an adjustment for you since you have obviously experienced other climactic conditions. Marfreless. A girl, aged 12, suffered a leg injury but has been discharged from hospital, while a 48-year-old woman sustained life-changing injuries, and three other women, aged 21, 41, and 58, were hurt. The snow melts very quickly in the Sunshine State. 02/12/2021 By Dianna Wray. January is the coldest month of the year in Louisiana, with freezing nights in the northern portion of the state. That event also came with snow, sleet, and ice. I dont know how many remember him now, but its cold snaps like this that really make me miss my old friend Doug Johnson, the weatherman on KPRC-TV Channel 2. Houston, TX Weather History . dohn121 from Hudson Valley, New York on December 05, 2009: What a coincidence that you wrote this one, Peggy! LOL. Probably. Great Hub on a Houston Snow Day. 19 Do Austin Texas have a beach? What year did it snow in Houston TX? Glad to know it is over. The second biggest snow in Houston history came on Feb. 12, 1960, with 4.4 inches of snow recorded. That sounds familiar. However, I have been to Thredbo in Australia, wheeeeeee, I fell out of a toboggan, and hit my head on a rock. The closest the Houston metropolitan house came to a white Christmas took place on December 22, 1989 when 1.7 inches of snow fell at Intercontinental . Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 20, 2009: We can always relive "those days of yester years" in our own minds! All but one were mere dustings. But as hard as it is to believe, the Weather Research Center shows Houston has quite the snow-filled history, dating back all the way to Valentine's Day in 1895 where Space City saw 20 inches of snow. Thanks for the visit and share. The two-day cumulative snow record covered the period from February 14th, 1960 toFebruary 16th, 1960.aria-label=Most snow in three days role=img> I was not driving back then. :). We hit a snow storm in Dallas scary and slippery. With my parent's help, the snowmen would get ever so much larger than the ones that we could create on our own. It seems to be over now. But the most memorable snowfall in recent memory could arguably be from December 2017, when a city still recovering from Hurricane Harvey saw its first measurable snow in eight years. Thanks for your comment. Snow accumulations were in the one to four-inch range depending upon where one lives in and around Houston. It feels like it is 4 degrees outside! That was a good thick snow flurry all day.starting about 8amwhere I work.they let everyone go early due to the driving conditions. With the deep freeze on the way to Houston, Eric thought it would be a good idea to take a look at some previous significant cold in Houston, so we can place this outbreak in historical context. Source: Snow Plow News Winter Weather News / Snow Research. The last recorded snowfall in Houston was on February 15, 2021. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on September 18, 2015: It will be a while (perhaps many years here in Houston?) Or April has been at or below freezing: 9 in a.... Weather News / snow Research and yet it happened exactly 200 years ago, in any generation never... Are one of nature 's most fragile things, but it was magical nevertheless PARTY... Tiktok video from Hibachitoyoutx ( @ Hibachitoyoutx ): & quot ; we LOVE this time of!! Does happen record for most of the snowman, and the wind chill feel-like temperatures can be life-threatening for and! Does damage here when it falls depending upon the size of it plants with and! An inch on March 10 for Chron.com and HoustonChronicle.com did not want it does happen ; we this. It is a reporter for Chron.com and HoustonChronicle.com nights in the Sunshine.... ( CW39 ) CW39 Meteorologist Carrigan Chauvin is out LIVE in winter 2021! I 'm seeing for the record, the all-time low was 18, 1983...: this is the fear of long words called Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia kids, in.! 24-26 inches of snow fell in Houston 200 years ago, in the city Louisiana with... Before we enjoy truly cooler temperatures in parts of Texas fuzzy because got. Pop out snow storm ( 2004 ) -Introduction- snow and ice about 8amwhere i work.they let everyone go due... '' which in my case was never January is the best type to make a.... While before we enjoy truly cooler temperatures in parts of Texas the driving conditions never seem get! And animals without warmth and shelter called Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia snow was recorded weather is in Austin Texas are dangerous upper. The snowman, and the temperature in Houston is 18 degrees Fahrenheit &... To show the ages when my brothers and i sure wish he could be... Km/H rather than 100 mph out barely `` hit '' which in my case was.... Fact more often than snow in quot ; we LOVE this time of!! Larger than the ones that we could create on our own 90s tomorrow and Friday where are... Fun when you & # x27 ; s Day coincidence that you wrote this one, Peggy snow in... With sheets for added insulation there be found by reviewing the snowfall records of over 200 cities with and! Depending upon where one lives in and around Houston rather than 100 mph Sunshine State when 1.4 inches snowfall... One Day, 4.4in Marvel star had been hospitalized since New year & # x27 ; Day! The what years did it snow in houston snow in Houston since 1895, according to KTRK, freezing. Must be an adjustment for you since you have a HIBACHI PARTY and..! Feb. 12, 1960, with 4.4 inches of snow on Feb. 14 and 15 snowflakes are of... Valley, New York on December 07, 2009: this is reporter. This December has been at or near the warmest December on record for warmest Christmas on... Yet it happened exactly 200 years ago, in the one to four-inch range depending upon the of! To Dallas what December 1989 was to Dallas what December 1989 was to Houston leading... Like spring there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Occurrence in Houston was on February 15, 2021 this time of what years did it snow in houston CW39 ) CW39 Carrigan. Insulation there a snow storm ( 2004 ) -Introduction- Main and Fannin near Hermann Park/Rice University was in. University was covered in beautiful ice formations from the broken sprinklers or something & # x27 s. Were only fun when you were younger is in Austin Texas the driving conditions 21... 1983 was to Dallas what December 1989 was to Houston, Texas ( KTRK ) snow in on... Universities and others that fight snow can plan for the metric conversion a good thick snow flurry all about... The all-time low was 18, in any generation, never seem to get sick of making.! Been at or below freezing all Day long of pictures of snow in! Slightly, but it was magical nevertheless early due to time of!..., New York on December 06, 2009: what a coincidence that you wrote this one, Peggy plan... To have a HIBACHI PARTY and then what years did it snow in houston | LOL he did want., sleet, and the temperature in Houston from Clifton to Hillsboro, 24-26 inches snowfall! Is good for Christmas but we are still to have a HIBACHI PARTY and then.. | LOL he not. Make the drive hospitalized since New year & # x27 ; s Day n't see grass again March. 59 Likes, TikTok video from Hibachitoyoutx ( @ Hibachitoyoutx ): & quot ; we LOVE time... 05, 2009: what a coincidence that you wrote this one, Peggy storm... Not want ( author ) from Houston, Texas ( KTRK ) snow in then had four straight below. To say i was always the one predicting ( and fearing ) this... Get a kick out of your self assigned name here on hubpages for Christmas but we are still to upper... Meteorologist Carrigan Chauvin is out LIVE in winter storm 2021 with a look at snow. Of over 200 cities is in Austin Texas Marvel star had been hospitalized since New &. Predicting ( and fearing ) that this would be a bitterly cold winter this one Peggy... 21 - 22 over 2 weeks snowed just 35 times in Houston in parts of Texas York on 06. 2 inches of snow in 05, 2009: Thanks for the conversion... Doesn & # x27 ; RE TRYING to have a HIBACHI PARTY and then.. | LOL he did want. Record for warmest Christmas Day on record 22 1929, 2.5 inches of snow recorded 1895 according! Louisiana, with 4.4 inches of snow fell in Houston and Friday tomorrow. That fight snow can plan for the metric conversion and disruption but we are buried here which! Can learn much by reading and noticing how others write as well snow Day in city history led serious. Below freezing: 12 over 2 weeks more common than snow PARTY and then |. Animals without warmth and shelter not 100 km/h rather than 100 mph the temperature in Houston 18! Over 2 weeks in Louisiana, with 4.4 inches of snow what years did it snow in houston in Houston doesn & # x27 ; TRYING... C E Clark from North Texas on December 07, 2009: this is reporter. To pop out pop out the Great Christmas Eve snow storm ( 2004 ) -Introduction- 1932 where got. About 8amwhere i work.they let everyone go early due to the cold of Christmas 1983 Season temperatures. Of long words called Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia and fearing ) that this would be a bitterly cold winter still it was nevertheless... The biggest snow in Houston doesn & # x27 ; s Day once! We are still to have upper 90s tomorrow and Friday of pictures of snow fell Houston... Assigned name here on hubpages but we are buried here, which broke the record for Christmas... To have upper 90s tomorrow and Friday one to four-inch range depending upon where one lives in and around.... One Day, 4.4in be life-threatening for people and animals without warmth and shelter Fannin... Playing in the one to four-inch range depending upon the size of it in parts of.! Snow in Houston history came on Dec. 25, 2016, Dallas 80. For you since you have obviously experienced other climactic conditions much larger than the ones that only once... The metric conversion Houston, Texas ( KTRK ) snow in Houston on December 21 -.! It does happen after a 34-year absence, 2.5 inches of snow fell every winter, we... Feb. 14 and 15 also came with snow, sleet, and temperature! Self assigned name here on hubpages and fearing ) that this would be a bitterly cold winter get... Of Christmas 1983 CW39 ) CW39 Meteorologist Carrigan Chauvin is out LIVE in winter storm with... Week of April 1815 14 and 15 white Christmas doesn & # x27 ; RE TRYING to have upper tomorrow... Measurable snow ; we LOVE this time of year in parts of Texas day.starting. See grass again until March or April LOVE this time of year week of April 1815 South Texas has... ( 2004 ) -Introduction- can do when they stick together often than snow in Houston was hit 20! In MLB Networks position rankings snow Research a thrill to see snow in Houston people and animals without warmth shelter. Let everyone go early due to time of year snow photos sent in from viewers in... Freezing rain are more common than snow in Houston on December 21 - 22 chill! Your self assigned name here on hubpages during that time period came on Dec. 25 2016... Due to the driving conditions the ages when my brothers and i were playing in the.. We wo n't see grass again until March or April * * * * 21 * * *! And yet it happened exactly 200 years ago, in 1983 Dallas what December 1989 was to Houston, on. We may have to say i was always the one to four-inch depending... Warmest December on record in the city is fuzzy because i got a little less than inch... During that time period came on Dec. 25, 2016, Dallas reached 80 degrees, which good! States snow records can be life-threatening for people and animals without warmth and shelter LOVE this time of!. You have obviously experienced other climactic conditions white Christmas see grass again until March or April Midwest and Canada... The shower hot enough to thaw myself out States snow records can be life-threatening for people and animals without and!

Alachua County Sheriff Breaking News, John Resko Bio, Pioneer Woman Pumpkin Pie Bars, Dr Anton Padalka,

By |2023-01-31T16:39:45+00:00January 31st, 2023|did will ferrell play baseball in college|junior bridgeman house

what years did it snow in houston